Wednesday 13 April 2011

It's heron's law...

I write this with fear - obviously the day started well with the heron sighting first thing, predictably attracting many visitors. As a result we had no activity from it all day, with nearly everyone leaving late afternoon with only the scaup and a collection of wagtails to show - indeed some were querying my report this morning...

At 17:55 tonight a couple in North Lagoon flagged me down to say it had just hopped out of the reeds on the north bank (20 metres from where I last saw it 9 hours earlier), before flying to each island and subsequently into South Lagoon - in front of another 3 observers. Views here were as poor as yesterday - I managed this shot - but you get the idea:

At 18:15 it then took off and flew in the direction of the Southern Marshes and was lost again.

Just to really make everyone livid; One of our long term regulars who was only able to attempt the bird for the first time tonight arrived just after it was re-found, then got views of it 10 metres away before watching it fly off. I think that's called birding...

Once again we will be open all daylight hours both today and tomorrow. Whether it remains is impossible to speculate. The only pattern it has followed in its behaviour is that it has been seen every day between 2pm and 6pm from the North Lagoon hide (but don't quote me on that...)